The Hamilton Community Investment Fund (HCIF) provides loans and investments that work alongside our conventional grantmaking toward dual goals: producing measurable social impact and building re-usable resources for the future.
Working in concert with experienced partners and resources, this $5 million fund is available for loans or investments in charities, non-profits and social enterprises that benefit this community. The investments can help organizations acquire assets, achieve scale, and launch or expand a program. As loans are repaid, funds become available for use with other projects, creating a continual recycling of charitable capital.
Through this fund, the Hamilton Community Foundation recently made a loan to the Mustard Seed Co-op.
- Produces greater leverage and scale by using a portion of assets as recyclable, low-interest, or market-rate loans across multiple nonprofit sectors.
- Introduces new and different financial tools, increasing organizational expertise and ultimately strengthening the sector.
- Provides access to capital that may not be available or affordable through traditional lenders.
- Expands impact across the broader community.
- Attracts new donors interested in achieving greater community impact.
The HCIF is one component of the Foundation’s impact investing portfolio.
For more information contact Annette Aquin at 905.523.5600 x 243.