Grace Smith was a direct descendant of one of our district’s first settlers, Jacob Smith, a United Empire Loyalist who built his log cabin on a Crown Grant in the present Ryckman’s Corners area. Her mother’s Ashbaugh ancestors built the first local redware pottery in the early 1800′s in the vicinity of Main West and Arkell.
Grace was keenly interested in the local U.E.L. Association and served as Secretary for many years. An active member of Erskine Presbyterian Church, Miss Smith taught nearby at Strathcona School, as well as at Queen Mary, Stinson and Dalewood Schools over a period of 40 years.
Excerpt from 1989-1990 Annual Report